Flip-through My Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

slurrrrrrppp!!!


kashmiri mutton yakhni... sunday lunch me made (mom directed)... can't cook so this was a first! finger lickin' awesomeness stewing in a giant bowl on my kitchen counter!

Here's how it's done (why is the recipe posted online? coz a. my mom wanted me to note it down and keep it safe, and I lose all documents & papers I possibly can, b. if the 3.5 people who read my blog are inspired enough to cook it, I've done my good deed of the day (since it's super-easy and super-quick!), and lastly & most importantly, c. I wanna show off... so sit back and let me "get my kicks before this whole shithouse burns up in flames"... a la Mr. Mojo Risin')... so (hip hop voice) mofos here's the dope on how you can get with it!

What is it, in brief???
Well, (clearing throat self importantly) yakhni is a yoghurt based traditional Kashmiri mutton gravy broth, which goes best with steamed rice. It's a light but flavourful dish that was apparently brought during the Mughal Era from Persia.


What you need and how much:
Yoghurt (smoothly blended)- 2.5 cups
Meat (boneless/shanks advisable)- 750 gms
Fennel seeds (saunf)- 2-3 tbsp
Sun-dried chillies- 3-4 nos.
Dried ginger (powdered)- 2 tsp
Mustard Oil- 4tbsp
Cloves- 3 nos.
Black cardamom- 2-3 nos.
Green cardomom- 2-3 nos.
Peppercorn (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Potatoes (optional)- 2-3 nos.
Saffron- Garnish

Stirring up this bad boy:

Step 1: Dry grind fennel seeds, chillies and dried ginger powder together, henceforth to be termed as Killer Masala (just coz I say so!)
Step 2: In a heated pressure cooker, add mustard oil and fry the cardamom, cloves and peppercorn. Add meat and stir. Add 3-4 tbsp of our Killer Masala, salt to taste and water as required (2 cups should do). Shut the lid and let it simmer for 7-8 mins.
Step 3: By this time, the meat would be half-cooked. Open the cooker and add the blended curd/yoghurt and stir.
Optional Step 3b: Add 2-3 potatoes (sliced lengthwise in big chunks), 1 tbsp more Killer Masala and water if necessary.
Step 4: Cover and cook for 2-3 mins. Garnish with saffron and serve over steamed white rice.

... or in my case, serve yourself, watch TV and call someone to boast about your newly acquired culinary skills...!

No comments: